GIVE THE BEST AND GET THE BEST
The department of Mathematics was started as one of the earliest departments of the college in the year 1956. It was upgraded as PG department in 1985 and elevated as research department in 2003. Right from its inception the department has been striving to set high standards of teaching and learning adhering to the goals of the college. The department maintains a record of good service with the vision of the Founder to establish a strong mathematical foundation among the young learners.
To provide value based mathematical education with continuous enhancement through innovative and flexible curriculum that enables the students to efficiently adapt in multidisciplinary academic and research environments and the society at large.
To develop mathematical thinking and apply it to solve problems with confidence by providing rich and diverse curriculum and to expand the frontiers of mathematical knowledge through innovative teaching –learning techniques.
To assess the individual needs of the students and educate them accordingly so that they bloom as resourceful mathematicians.
To provide an ambience for originality and creativity that leads to quality research and collaborative work.
To inculcate social responsibility among students and to involve them in community related activities.
In accordance with the mission and vision of the founder, the department of Mathematics
has formulated the following objectives to translate, transform and realize the student’s
expectations both qualitatively and quantitatively.
provide Learner – centric and industry ready curriculum.
Adopt new teaching –learning strategies and innovative evaluation process. motivate and provide a strong foundation for research oriented activities like projects, internship and building mathematical models, in the curriculum.
To provide a conducive environment to the students for their academic physical and mental development.
To reach the unreached through extension activities.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
1. To develop logical, analytical and problem solving skills.
2. To provide ample learning opportunities to the students to comprehend and construct mathematical proofs independently.
3. To enable them to explore the nuances of mathematical techniques and apply them to various domains.
4. To instill confidence in one’s own mathematical skills and knowledge.
5. Prepare the students to be either readily employable, engage in higher learning or Indulge in research and to make them responsible citizens.
On successful completion of the Programme, the students will
1. acquire adequate knowledge in the principles underlying standard applications of mathematics.
2. possess the ability to analyse and synthesize mathematics /mathematics oriented problems and use appropriate mathematical techniques, skills and modern computing tools necessary for problem solving.
3. be able to comprehend and analyse real world problems and also develop creativity through practical components of the curriculum.
4. be capable of proposing new ideas and solutions, plan and organize various tasks through the co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
5. Engage in independent and lifelong learning to become freelance mathematics tutors or professionals and commit to social and professional ethics.
Special Features of the Department
DST and DBT funded department.
A team of well qualified and energetic faculty members who produce centum graduation rate.
High Demand for the course.
Most of the alumni are placed in Engineering , Arts and Science colleges, Higher Secondary Schools and MultiNational Companies.
Arranging Guest Lectures twice in a semester.
Abinaya Ramesh of I B.Sc Mathematics - International Table Tennis player.
S.Geetha of I M.Sc Mathematics – National Hockey player.
R .Lavanya of M.Phil Mathematics and S. Sangavi of II M.Sc Mathematics – University Shuttle cock players.
S.Priyanka of II B.Sc Mathematics – University Table Tennis player
Celebrating days of Mathematical importance like Ramanujan day,π day etc.,
Participation of students in internship programmes organized by other reputed institutions.
Sharing the experiences of the students who attended various training programmes.
Participation of students in intercollegiate competitions.
Display of latest mathematical related news in classrooms.
Teaching experience for PG & M.Phil research scholars in the absence of teachers.
INNOVATIVE COMPONENTS IN THE CURRICULUM
UNDER GRADUATE PROGRAMME
Innovative Core Course :
Fuzzy Logic and Intuitionistic Fuzzy Set
Elective Courses :
Programming in C
Computational Mathematics Laboratory
Advanced Learner’s Courses: (CBCS)
ALC I : Combinatorics/ Statistical Quality Control
ALC II : Mathematics in Insurance / Mathematical Cryptography
Skill Based Course :
Diploma Course in Graph Theory
Paths and Trees
Planar Graphs and Colouring of Graphs
Non – Major Elective Course :
Basic Mathematics For Competitive Examinations
Hands On Experience Component :
Construction of Mathematical Models
In SBC, Model presentation as Group project.
POST GRADUATE PROGRAMME
Innovative Core Course:
Optimization Techniques I &II
Advanced Learner’s Courses: (CBCS)
ALC I: Fuzzy Set Theory And Its Applications / Mathematical Modelling
ALC II : Operator Theory / Differential Geometry Internship
Teaching practice for a period of 2 weeks in a school.
Hands on Experience Component: